Thursday, November 17, 2011

A "Sugar Act"... Really?

Entry 1                                                                                                                                Month Unknown, 1764          
                                                    
      So, today I went down to the market to buy some sugar I was going to use in a cake I was baking for my grandmother. Then, Joe, the shopkeeper, said that I had to pay an extra tax on sugar. He told me it's that way because Britain needs to pay for the French-Indian war. I mean, honestly, Great Britain thinks they can tax ME, when I have no say in their government? Who do they think they are?

Oh well... I'm gonna have to get back to work at the docks soon.


Source:

General Info: White, Deverall, United states history: Beginnings to 1877, page 98

No comments:

Post a Comment